Tuesday, 30 October 2007

Soloing A Classic


Little Chamonix had been recommended to me since i had started climbing at 13. Regrettably i had missed the chance to climb it when it was at the edge of my ability. It was not until I was sixteen that we ventured to Shepherd’s Crag. The line was not as obvious as I had assumed it would be, but never the less the climbing was amazing. The first pitch was damp so I went up a slightly more difficult bit to the left. The polish wasn't too bad.

This was Diff Climbing at its best. The Jugs kept coming giving a feeling of saftey, but the 250ft drop game a sense of freedom on the rock you never get using ropes. The block was interesting, followed by some small holds, that at one point made me start to worry. It seemed hard for VD, but I was committed now. I passed the saddle, and then came the exposed bit, hanging off some insecure-feeling holds over a Large drop. I have since heard of someone who fell off Little Chamonix, relativly unscathed.

I see why it's a classic now.

No comments: