Monday, 15 March 2010

Millstone and Lawrencefield- High Plains Drifter E4 6a

So a Manchester University MC meet was planned for the grit quarries above hathersage, meeting the Leeds Club and a few folk from Sheffield. It's always a bit of a sign when the MUMC is going to the peak that not much would get done and on Saturday this proved to be the case. Lots of people getting a bit more experience with leading and lots of people getting up the classic HVSs, E1s, E2s and even a couple of ascents of Time for Tea, but people in the main sticking to their comfort zones. I thought i'd go for the 'hard and safe' Coventry Street, managing to hold the dusty top, move my other hand up, then pop my feet off and take a large inverted whipper. Balls. At least it got my 'head in'.
Embankment Two, Solo

So on Sunday me and my trusty companion 'Dooge'- who is currently at Leeds Uni; departed to Lawrencefield, borrowing "Beastiality Phil's" guidebook. Dave flew up the (what I think is a very hard) E2, Suspense and then I had a little tootle up Boulevard- nice route. I was then further impressed with Great Peter, which I seconded Dave up and at this point we sat around and ate lots of biscuits.
Dave seemed quite happy with the day, but I wanted to get on Highplains Drifter. It takes a cool line out left from Boulevard, up what looks like (and is) a technical and steepish, bold face. Getting up to a massive ledge with a tree I continued up a brilliant sloping ramp to find some half-decent RPs and a piss-poor Peg. I had spent some time at the ledge, figuring out what the moves were going to be, and it was more or less as I had predicted, only with all the positive-looking holds being awful slopers. A bit of a sketch across and an alarming run-out got me to the sanctuary of a ledge and an easy plod up to the top.
An E3 at Stanage on Thursday.

I felt it was quite hard for E4, but I have had a lot of time out of trad and have turned into a scared Moose.

No comments: