Saturday, 7 November 2015

Slog: The Full-Time Job Of A Trad Project.


Man, it's hard. Work, work, work and then your weekend is a pile of rain. The evening sessions have begun, but I'm determined only to get on the route if it's bone dry -  I really don't want to damage this climb and the holds are small. This doesn't leave a lot of time.

It's been great to get out and about in Northumberland. It's a fantastic place and I've bumped into lots of nice people - even a couple at Sandy Crag - determined! I've even been going up to Sandy on rainy days to check gear, keep the route chalked and just generally meditate in the crag's aura. That last one is really important at a place like Sandy (Key Heugh). There is a tremendous energy from unknown sources. They need to be friends, not something you're afraid of.
 Most new psyche for the route has come from Mark Savage. He tried the route years ago and was blown away with the quality of the line. We went up to Sandy together so he could watch my sequence and get some photos. It was great to get such motivation from one of Sandy's adventurers. Other people's words do have effects on you and seeing someone else so keen for this thing getting climbed fans the flames just that little bit more. I'm going to need that this winter.
 There's still been a little time for the wonderful lake district.
I'm getting to the point now where the link is inevitable and all I have to worry about is looking after the route and getting moves to feel secure. There's only one move now that I'm not happy with. Just got to put the hours in I suppose...


No comments: