Saturday, 28 November 2015

The Waiting Game

November has been a strange month this year. I find it very hard to remember what past Novembers were like, but I seem to remember having climbed at least a little in years gone by. This one though has been a particularly rancid one. High winds, cold, warm, wet: very wet.

It has only yielded a couple of half-decent sessions. The cold brought the promise of better conditions and there was a moment where I saw the future of the Key Heugh project in the bounding glory of completion. This quickly flitted away however and I was left with a pile of ming I really haven't wanted to get on for risk of damaging it.

The finest outcome has been my increments on the upper section. This was not my style, sketchy and I found it really hard. I'm confident that I can solo that piece of climbing now and that by itself would equal any piece of climbing I have ever done before (in both difficulty and quality); It's a mesmerising rise of beauty.

The aspect of the route troubling me the most at the moment is the fact that I haven't linked it. I keep telling myself to stop chasing arbitrary goals (such as the link) and focus on a genuine and heartfelt understanding of the climb. In the past this has always eventually bore fruits, but the lack of a link does really start to set the insecurities flowing.

So it's swings and twirling roundabouts at the moment, with hope and despair performing a canny duel. I'm kind of scared and a little bit excited.

No comments: